Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2013

60 miles down and 3 months to go!

"The one thing all famous authors, world class athletes, business tycoons, singers, actors, and celebrated achievers in any field have in common is that they all began their journeys when they were none of these things."  - Mike Dooley 

Today is 3 months from Ironman Wisconsin. In other words, it is time to get serious! I wonder why I'm so much more laid back than I've ever been in training. When I trained for my first Olympic Tri, my first marathon, my first half ironman, I followed the training plan to the letter. I looked down on anyone who talked of routinely skipping workouts. How would that get you anywhere? And now I am the queen of skipping workouts. Maybe its perspective from this year, all the challenges, that this is just a game. And being a game, yes, you sometimes have to get it done when you really would rather sleep, eat, do anything else, but I am not at the level where I will make myself repeatedly do something that is not bringing me joy. Looking back, I'd have to say that it wasn't bringing me joy from about January to May. I was in a bad place and very little was bringing me joy. Maybe I would've been better off if I had just pushed through, but I can't change that now. I am where I am. 20 lbs heavier than planned and slower than ever. But I have three months, and I have the fire again, and I know I can do this.
This morning I went for a 60 mile ride. It wasn't as fast as I would've liked, but it was wonderful. I went up Sheridan Road, up into the north burbs up to Great Lakes, IL. Beautiful scenery and a beautiful morning. I found the joy. That doesn't mean my butt wasn't hurting and I had moments of just being tired and a long stretch of really having to pee when there were no bathrooms around, but overall, it was just so enjoyable. Of course, I was suppose to swim this afternoon, but the constraints of life just aren't going to have that. I have a swim date with a friend tomorrow, so that will have to suffice. I did spend a lot of time today (yes, I probably could've swum during that time) watching youtube videos of IM Wisconsin and getting psyched up again.

So here is to the next three months, getting stronger mentally and physically. I know there will be days where I don't want to put in the time, but I hope to now be in a place where I can will myself to do it. That doesn't mean pushing through when my body is truly telling me otherwise, or prioritizing training over other more important things in life (yes, they exist), but just making sure I keep kindling the fire so on September 8, I'm ready to go!

If anyone else needs motivation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cndLap_R5RI

No comments:

Post a Comment